The Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide (ELAW) seeks a bilingual (French and English)
lawyer to join us on a one-year contract with possible extension.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with the world’s leading public-interest lawyers to
protect the rights of communities and the environment. We anticipate the new hire will
collaborate with lawyers in the francophone countries of Africa on cases to defend land
rights and address the impacts of mining and other extractive industries, as well as law
reform initiatives to promote renewable energy sources and protect the climate.
The new hire will work closely with a small team of lawyers to provide international
partners with high-level legal analysis and research to support a wide range of advocacy
efforts. The lawyer will coordinate with lawyers working in their home countries to
provide in-depth legal research, prepare comments on proposed laws and regulations,
develop litigation strategy, and draft pleadings or other legal documents.
- J.D. or equivalent law degree;
- Demonstrated fluency in French and English;
- Exceptional legal research, writing, and communication skills;
- Willingness to travel internationally, as needed;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and competing deadlines;
- Ability to positively represent ELAW in a variety of professional settings;
- Ability to work within a team, as well as independently; and
- A commitment to serving the public interest and work in cross-cultural settings.
Location: Eugene, Oregon. For the right candidate, other locations (especially francophone
African countries) will be considered.
The position is full time; however, ELAW will consider creative strategies to provide
excellent legal services to our partners including hiring two part-time candidates to fill this
ELAW is committed to building a culturally diverse organization and we strongly
encourage minority candidates to apply.
Please send a cover letter and C.V. or resume to: email@example.com by January 31, 2018.