The U.S. office of the Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide (ELAW) seeks an early-career attorney to join our team in Eugene, Oregon.
ELAW is a global alliance of attorneys, scientists and other advocates collaborating across borders to promote grassroots efforts to build a sustainable, just future.
This is an exciting opportunity to collaborate with leading public interest lawyers around the world to protect the rights of communities and the environment.
ELAW’s global partners are addressing high impact, challenging issues including reining in plastic use and waste, protecting the climate, defending land rights, securing clean water, and conserving ecosystems.
The Law Associate will work closely with ELAW’s Staff Attorneys to provide international partners working in their home countries with legal analysis and research to support a wide range of domestic and international advocacy efforts.
Responsibilities include legal research and preparation of memoranda related to environmental and human rights cases, review of proposed laws and regulations, drafting pleadings and other litigation documents, and helping partners evaluate potential litigation
- J.D. or equivalent law degree;
- Exceptional legal research, writing, and communication skills;
- Willingness to travel internationally;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and competing deadlines;
- Ability to positively represent ELAW in a variety of professional settings;
- Ability to work within a team, as well as independently;
- Fluency in English; and
- A commitment to serving the public interest and ability to work successfully in cross-cultural settings.
- Professional fluency in a language other than English;
- Experience in human rights or environmental law;
- Licensed to practice law in the U.S., or a willingness to apply for bar membership;
- Experience working internationally or with international organizations; and
- Demonstrated litigation skills or experience working within legislative or administrative processes.
Location: Eugene, Oregon.
ELAW is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a cover letter and C.V. or resume to: email@example.com by June 10.