The Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide (ELAW) seeks an experienced human rights or environmental lawyer to join us as a Staff Attorney.
ELAW collaborates with the world's leading public-interest lawyers to defend local communities and protect the environment. This is an exciting opportunity to work on important and challenging issues including protecting the climate, defending land rights, securing clean water, and conserving ecosystems.
The Staff Attorney will work closely with a small team of lawyers to provide international partners with high-level legal analysis and research to support a wide range of advocacy efforts. The Staff Attorney will research legal issues, prepare comments on proposed laws and regulations, develop litigation strategy, and draft legal documents. The Staff Attorney will also work with visiting international lawyers to provide training and collaborate on projects.
- J.D. or equivalent degree;
- At least 5 years of experience in human rights or environmental law;
- Exceptional legal research, writing, and communication skills;
- Fluency in English;
- Willingness to travel internationally, as needed (at least 1-2 weeks per year);
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and competing deadlines;
- Ability to positively represent ELAW in a variety of professional settings;
- Ability to work within a team, as well as independently; and
- A commitment to serving the public interest and an understanding of cross-cultural settings.
- Experience practicing in a civil law jurisdiction and specialized knowledge in one or more areas of environmental or human rights law;
- Fluency in Spanish or French;
- Demonstrated litigation skills or experience working within legislative and administrative processes; and
- Experience working internationally.
Location: Eugene, Oregon. For the right candidate, other locations will be considered.
Please send a cover letter and C.V. or resume to: email@example.com by August 31, 2017. No phone calls please.